Train Enthusiasts, Visitor Hosts, Mechanics, Model Makers & Handypersons
The Whangarei Steam and Model Railway Club is located in the Heritage Park grounds (access through Gate 2) and operates diesel and a steam locomotive, jiggers and two 1924 restored trams for the public on running days. The club facilities are also available for public hire on request.
The tracks, built entirely by the club's members, have grown over the years, and presently there is approx. 2km of single track. Volunteer club members ensure the continued operation of the club on a self-sustaining basis. This includes restoration work in fully equipped workshops, development of model layouts and management of a growing historical archive and our small museum.We are looking for volunteers to assist with:
- Track & tram restoration / maintenance of woodwork, metalwork, engineering, diesel mechanics
- Jobs around the train station: maintaining the buildings and grounds, gardening
- Selling tickets and platform management on running days (every third Sunday of a month)
- Learning to become a locomotive driver, tram driver and train guard.
The train, jiggers and trams are operated on the third Sunday of each month in conjunction with the Model Engineers who operate miniature railway and the Tractor Club.
Members meet every Monday and Friday at 9.00 am to carry out the tasks that need to be done to maintain safe and efficient running.
We invite those interested to contact the President who will arrange a tour of facilities and discuss possible involvement.
- Woodwork, metalwork, engineering and electrical skills.
- Experience with maintaining Diesel engines
- Model building and construction of model scenery and layouts
- Interest in historic archiving and museum management and maintenance
- Restoration of buildings and machinery