Do you love talking? Do you love your local community? Would you like to help teenagers and adults in your community who struggle with the basics of reading and writing? We will give you training and heaps of support. Over 1 in 10 adults and 3 in 10 youth struggle to read and write. Living with low literacy impacts so many aspects of life including health, finances, employment opportunities, wellbeing and self-esteem. This work changes lives and it makes a real difference.We are looking for local ambassadors to represent us in your community
- to help spread the word about our free services by helping us build and maintain relationships with local organisations and people.
It will mainly include:
- distributing posters or leaflets (or telling us where to send them)
- attending community network meetings and events
- lots of talking, so we can help our low literacy young people and adults reach their potential
You can do it when you want to. You will need to let our Community Coordinator know what you have been doing at least once a month, but you can ask for her help at any time. You will also be part of a community of Regional Ambassadors who will share their experiences and give each other support through a closed group on SLACK.
By participating in this volunteering opportunity you are helping achieve the following United Nations Sustainability Goals ; Goal 4 - Quality education Goal 10 - Reduced inequalities.
All training and support provided
- To be outgoing, enjoy talking with people and be a great communicator
- To have knowledge of, or be willing to learn about, literacy issues and have understanding and empathy for those who are preliterate and how literacy can change lives
- Able to take the initiative, self-manage and be an ideas person
- To be passionate about your local community and local people
- Be able to commit to for up to 4 hours a month (hours are not fixed)