Literacy and Numeracy Tutors (Tama, aged 9-13yrs)
Te Ora Hou Northland exists for the benefit of young people. Their needs are the centre of our attention and their development is the heart of our work. We are committed to providing focused, practical and strategic actions to issues facing young people and their families through innovative projects and the formation of meaningful relationships.
One of our key education programmes is Te Haerenga. This is a specialised programme that delivers wrap around youth mentoring, pastoral care
and education to young people aged 9 – 13 years who are disconnected from mainstream education.
We need the support of dedicated and compassionate people to come in and support our tamariki with one to one education tutoring - you don't need to be a qualified teacher to do this but you do need to have patience, a big heart and the ability to work with kids who may have learning and/or behavior challenges.Our education sessions are held 11-12.30 Tuesday to Friday - ideally you can commit to one (or more!) of these 90 minutes sessions on a weekly basis.
- We will provide training on what is required during the sessions, but if you have literacy and numeracy skills you are able to share, you are needed
- You will be supported by experienced staff every step of the way
- Commitment - it is very important that our boys have structure and routine so we are looking for long term volunteers who can really become a part of our program on an ongoing basis
- Passion - wanting to see our boys succeed in life and believing they deserve it
- Knowledge - Literacy and numeracy skills that you want to share