One on One Mentor for local youth
Remember that one friend you had when you were in school? Remember how you could tell them anything and you knew they’d understand? How would you like to become that person for a local school student and help make a difference in your community?
I Have a Dream works with students (Dreamers) attending low-decile schools in Whāngarei. We support Dreamers from Year 1 until two years after high school and provide long term and wraparound support to our Dreamers. Our programme is open to all students who attend our partner schools. Some of the services we provide include in-class assistance, after-school programmes, mentoring, and advocacy. Currently about 960 young people are enrolled with I Have a Dream in the Tikipunga and Otangarei communities.
We urgently need Mentors to assist our Dreamers (the young people we support) in navigating adolescence. Mentoring takes place outside of work and school hours, so it's perfect for professionals who want to help create generational change in their community. If you, or someone you know, would like to make a difference in children’s lives, while also having fun and building relationships, please get in touch.
Time investment: Group activity once a month, 3-4 hours, for 12 months then one on one with your assigned young person.
- Full induction and training is provided in conjunction with the once a month group activities in the evening.
- Also, regular opportunities for personal and professional development provided.
- Someone who has at least a day a month to dedicate to a young person long term
- Commitment to I Have A Dream ideals, mission and vision
- Good communication skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Positive attitude, patience, interest in seeing children succeed.