To provide a prisoner at NRCF with the social support needed, when no other support is in place.
- Providing remand prisoners with the social support in order to help take care of their daily life tasks that they are unable to do whilst in prison ie. banking, bills, pets, mortgage and rent payments.
- Arriving to the visits on time, as we have a strict schedule (prisoner dispo) to adhere to. You will need to allow enough time to get through the gatehouse.
- Recording attendance of the prisoner, and then forwarding this to the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Work in a team environment and comply with Department of Corrections staff instructions while volunteering.
- All volunteers must undergo background checks prior to working with children including references, ministry of justice checks and completing health & safety Induction training.
Skills, Attitudes & Experience needed:
- Volunteer must be friendly, approachable, patient, non-judgemental and prepared to start the conversation.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively with prisoner and Corrections staff.
- Reasonable fitness (able to walk to and from visits unassisted).
- To act with integrity and professionalism and to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- To maintain regular contact with the Regional Volunteer Coordinator to seek supervision and support.