To provide a prisoner at NRCF with the social support needed, when no other support is in place.
- Providing prisoner with the social support.
- Arriving to the visits on time, as we have a strict schedule (prisoner dispo) to adhere to. You will need to allow enough time to get through the gatehouse.
- Recording attendance of the prisoner, and then forwarding this to the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Work in a team environment and comply with Department of Corrections staff instructions while volunteering.
- All volunteers must undergo background checks prior to working with children including references, ministry of justice checks and completing health & safety Induction training.
Skills, Attitudes & Experience needed:
- Volunteer must be friendly, approachable, patient, non-judgemental and prepared to start the conversation.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively with prisoner and Corrections staff.
- Reasonable fitness (able to walk to and from visits unassisted).
- To act with integrity and professionalism and to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- To maintain regular contact with the Regional Volunteer Coordinator to seek supervision and support.