Whanau Transport Driver (WTD)
For Whangarei District
and around Kaikohe
: Whanau Transport Drivers help provide families access to visit Prison Sites/Facilities to maintain social and emotional contact which would otherwise be impossible due to financial limitations or the fact that there is no public transport near the prison.
At PARS (People At Risk Solutions), we believe continued whānau relationships are vital to our client’s wellbeing and can assist with a positive re-integration following release. You have the opportunity to join a team of volunteers who provide this immeasurable support.
PARS has a policy to match female drivers with female applicants and male drivers with male applicants however pending maturity and comfortability there is flexibility.
- Visits are usually between 9.30am – 11.30 and 1pm – 4pm. You will need to include travel time to and from the visit.
- A commitment from the WTD of twelve months is preferred.
- All mileage reimbursed is paid at IRD rate.
- All out of pocket expenses are also reimbursed.
All trainings are held on Sundays at PARS office 2/19 Edwin Street, Mt Eden. The following training sessions times are;
- Orientation 3pm-4.30pm - Monthly
- Training 3pm-6pm - Bi-monthly
- Supervision 3pm-4pm - Monthly
We are open however to using technology such as Zoom, Skype, FaceTime to include you into training and Supervision sessions. It would be preferable if one training session was attended in Auckland. All volunteer interviews are held in Whangarei. Specific requirements
- Volunteers must be over 21 years of age
- Complete a Police Vetting Application
- Provide two character references
- Have a full valid NZ Driver License
- Access to their own transport that is warranted & registered..
- Be reliable and non-judgmental, punctual, personable, have good listening skills and patience.