. PARS (People At Risk Solutions) is a charitable trust and a leading agency in the Northern Region that supports and assists the needs of prisoners, ex-prisoners and their families/whanau, also delivering services inside and outside the prisons.
The purpose of the role is to develop constructive support linking prisoners with the outside world and maintaining this until support is no longer required or desired.
We are looking for volunteers to visit prisoners who are
- Long servers (2+ years) with no approved visitors.
- Between the ages of 17 – 24yrs serving their first sentences.
These visits will happen either weekly or fortnightly at Northland Region Corrections Facility in Ngawha
Time commitment: 1 hour weekly tailoring off as the need decreases. A commitment of twelve months preferred.
- All mileage reimbursed is paid at IRD rate.
- All out of pocket expenses are also reimbursed.
Required to attend 2 hour PARS Volunteer Orientation. This gives an overview of PARS the organisation and a brief on the different volunteer profiles.
Compulsory volunteer training also to follow the Orientation. This training consists of intensive training including scenarios, discussion around any concerns. By the completion of this training you will be ready to fulfill your role.
Orientation and interviews will be scheduled, with training commencing Feb 2019.
- Volunteers must be over 21 years of age
- Complete a Police Vetting Application
- Complete a Department of Corrections Third Party Clearance Application.
- Provide two character referees.
- Ideally if required to use their own transport while volunteering, that the vehicle is warranted & registered and Volunteer has a Full License.
- Be reliable and non-judgmental, punctual, personable, have good listening skills and patience.