Governance bites, 90 minute sessions monthly
Explore Good Governance in 90 minutes, gain a certificate by attending 7 out of 10 sessions.
We are holding monthly governance workshops 5:15pm -7pm for anyone who is on the board of a Northland community organisation.
Join on-site in Whangarei (ASB Stadium) or on-line, at home or as in group in Dargaville or Kaitaia.
The sessions will be live-streamed all over Northland allowing off-site participants to interact, asking questions using on-line technology. They will also be available to be viewed on-demand up to ten days after the session on the Facebook group Community Governance Northland. Note you need to have joined the group.
Other venues around Northland are available for those interested to watch the live-stream together and share a few slices of pizza. (we recommend to watch as a group because of the exercises during the workshop).
Dargaville Location: SportsVille Dargaville - Memorial Park, Logan Street. Convened by Lara Stott (Kaipara District Council)
Register your attendance here: Governance Bites Kaipara
Kaitaia Location: Te Ahu Centre.
Convened by Teresa Hart (Te Houtaewa Maori Trust).
Register your attendance here: Governance Bites Kaitaia
Whangarei Location: ASB Stadium, lounge 1 ($10 koha for pizza and refreshments).
Register your attendance here: Governance Bites Whangarei
The workshops/digital live-stream will be held each month on a Monday, use the link by clicking here (note link will be published closer to the date).
- 12 August: What is a Board actually for?
- 9 September: Understanding your constitution, rules or trust deed
- 14 October: Life-cycles of organisations and boards
- 4 November: Getting and keeping good board members
- 16 December: Working with difficult people
Continuing in 2020
- 9 March: Legal responsibilities of boards
- 20 April: Reading financial statements for board members
- 11 May: Secrets of a good board chair
- 8 June: How to have better meetings
- 13 July: The board as a team
- 10 August: Strategic leadership
- 14 September: Managing key personnel
- 12 October: Board manager relationships
- 9 November: Reporting
These bite-sized seminars are designed to be interactive and packed with useful information and tips for ensuring your board is effective in adding value to the important work that your organisation does. Whether you are a new or experienced board member, or planning to join the board of a community organisation, these workshops will allow you to explore relevant issues facing boards and up-skill your governance leadership capabilities. We also strongly encourage youth participation.
We will hand out a "Governance Bites Certificate"
to individuals that attend 7 or more sessions.
- Preferred for all: Join the Facebook group Community Governance Northland so you will be kept up to date.
- In addition On-site attendants need to use the sign-up button here,
- or email email@example.com
- or call 0800-865268 / 09-9454984 for assistance.
On the day:
- Sessions in Whangarei, Dargaville and Kaitaia start at 5:15pm with a slice of pizza.
- On-line sessions: Camera rolling at 5:15pm, sessions starting at 5:30 sharp. Web-link provide on this page and in top-post of the Facebook group (you need to have signed up to the group: Community Governance Northland).
These workshops are:
- Facilitated by Volunteering Northland
- Supported by SPORT Northland
- Funded by Foundation North, Kaipara District Council and Whangarei District Council
- Recorded by C North
- Delivered by LEAD, Sandy Thompson